Friday September 28, 2018

Center for Regional Growth Logo


Friday – September 28, 2018 – 8:30 a.m. 34 West Fulton Street Gloversville, New York

Directors Present: Geoffrey Peck, Ronald Olinsky, Terri Easterly, Kent Kirch, Gregory Fagan, Travis Mitchell, Timothy Beckett
Grant Preston via conference call

Directors Absent:

Staff Present: Ronald Peters, Jennifer Jennings and Diane Meade

Guests: Ashley Onyon Leader Herald, Mike Albanese

Public Session

8:42 AM
Call to Order / Introductions/Meeting Minutes:

Chairman Geoffrey Peck called the meeting to order at 8:432 a.m. He welcomed the Directors and guests to the meeting. Mr. Peck asked for a motion to approve the B.O.D. meeting minutes from August 29, 2018. Kent Kirch seconded the motion. Mr. Peck motioned to approve the Finance Committee minutes from Finance Committee minutes and it passed unanimously. A request was made to be sure that all meeting invites in the future go out via Outlook Calendar.

Administrative Matters

Chair Report:

Geoffrey Peck– At the CEO Round Table meeting there has been good attendance. Focus on the entrance of the city being a priority and that many properties are in serious disrepair. Ron Peters added that the Manor House property was a major eye soar. Some discussing continued on the areas in disrepair and the ramifications of the overall effect.

Committee Reports:

Executive Committee:

This Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.

Governance Committee:

This Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.

Finance Committee:

Ron Olinsky advised the Board that this Committee met the Wednesday prior to the Board Meeting The Committee looked at the financials and Ron reminded us that the library is moving at the end of November. Still looking for a replacement. We reviewed expenses (on the building) and the asbestos is costing us some money. CIC dissolution has a resolution. Will speak about the audit in the Executive session. In this meeting, they also reviewed Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables. Lastly, Board that the Committee reviewed all loans and there are no delinquencies for the month, which is great. Let the County know out plan to sell all the properties.

Ron Peters: EDC is working to sell everything.

Geoff Peck- Press release with a foot note of intent and Ron Peters include in report to County and do low key.

In another year, the EDC will also close. We will be setting up new entities.

Audit Committee:

This Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.

Building Committee:

Ron Peters advised the Board that this Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.

Membership & Marketing Committee:

Did not meet since the last Board Meeting but is scheduled to on October 3, 2018 to review items for the Fall Gala. Diane Meade said that the efforts toward building members would come through looking for auction items.

ABO Guidelines Review:

Diane Meade reviewed a portion of the ABO Policy regarding conflicts of interest as a spring-board to the CRG policy on the same. Diane Meade supplied everyone a copy the CRG policy for their review as well as past around a copy as a refresher of what was signed by each of them as it can be a confusing and sensitive issue.

Gloversville Downtown Development Specialist Report:

Jennifer Jennings:  provided a written report to the Board prior to the meeting. Jennifer working on the Bacon Jam and the vendors are going as expected, a lot of in and out. 8,000 views for $200 on FB and over 200 “Shares.” September/October Business Owners letter not going out yet due to Bacon Jam.

Overwhelming support and praise for the Board Trainings. They are fun and very helpful.

County and City Reports:

There was no meeting since the last board meeting.

President and CEO Report

Current Projects: 

Ron Peters informed the Board of current projects that he has been working on. Pioneer Windows is in a holding pattern with 2.2 Million and Evolution is installing equipment. Second Wind Coffee has funded and will be open in 30 days with a tour scheduled in October.

“Good press” expressed by all on the Stump City tour. Good turnout etc. Hopefully they will have one of the owners going full time in fall. Right now they are producing well. Kent Kirch- Spoke on the limitations they face with distribution while Travis Mitchel noted the % that they can have in NY State.

Working with China- Passed out package on Zenity Holdings. Ron sited that they work on four models and they have interest in upstate NY but may be waiting to see what happens with the trade tariffs.

Thoughts were expressed over the National Grid Grants and how it is a natural to bring in Montgomery County and get some quotes maybe get the state SEG Grant. Also make it a ten county not an eight county.

CIC -The last property sold and a resolution passed. CIC to close $32,ooo escrow account.

Loan update: Thnk Tank, True Value and Madioni all closed.
We will be going to Miami in December and we will also be accepting the free tickets from National Grid. There are 30-35 Site Selectors table to table at the convention. IMC, COC has membership for us and we have accepted.

2018 Proposed Events: Ron reviewed the list of events on the agenda:

  1.  Business to Business Saratoga Springs – October 4
  2. Gala Event – November 16

2018 Events Attending / Participating in: Ron reviewed the list of events that he will either attending or CRG will participate in:

  1. IAMC Fall Forum – September 17-19
  2. Site Selector’s Guild Fall Conference – Sept 10-12

Events Attended

  1. MVEDD Annual Meeting- January 29
  2. Membership Kick-off Open House Event- January 30
  3. NYSEDC- January 31-February 1
  4. Site Selector’s Guild Conference – March 19-21
  5. ICSC Table Setup- March 24-26
  6. Place making 101 Conference – April
  7. IAMC Spring Professional Forum – May 5-9
  8. NYSEDC Annual Meeting – May 23-25
  9. Southern Adirondack Wine & Food Festival – June 9
  10. Select USA Investment Summit – June 20-22
  11.  IEDC Economic Future – June 24-26
  12. Fancy Food Show – June 30 – July 2
  13. Woodworking and Fine Arts Weekend in Northville – July 20-22
  14. Drum Corp International – July 22

General: Good Guys Properties; Careful setting a president with the city. There was a lot of discussion over how the city may perceive this as an invitation to have CRG basically bail out the City on future “clean up” of properties they are responsible for. CRG needs to plan approach before meeting.

Geoff Peck- Mike Albanese will put together an agenda for Board Meeting to plan. Mike says he’ll ferret out the stands.

Ron Peters- We have to not only look at the City but the County for EPA Grant Terri Easterly-0 $22k is too high for 391. The math is no good.

Geoff Peck- City is poor in properties- Rentals are horrible. From the City side, we need to work at selling these. Halo may even give CRG property.

Ron Peters- Met with Steve and Vince and had a knock down drag out that probably hurt the relationship. Steve is concerned about the historical value but the building is falling down.

Travis Mitchel- There needs to be a third party conflict resolution group. A third party to determine If the building, any building should be saved.

Geoff Peck- No parking in the city left. City code has it all allocated.

Ron Peters- Building should come down.

Greg Fagan– Not all in the City name. They should put together an LLC and work with the County. Everything just leads to more conflicts.

Adjournment to Executive Session to Discuss Legal Issues

At 9:15 a.m. Ron Peters motioned to adjourn to executive session. (17:59)

Adjournment from Executive Session

At 9:33 a.m. Geoff Peck asked for a motion to adjourn from Executive Session. Timothy Beckett made the motion; it was seconded by Terri Easterly and unanimously approved.


Respectfully Submitted,

________________________________                    _________________

Leslie Ford, Board Secretary                                                      Date

Board Meetings are held the Fourth Friday of the Month
at the CRG Main Office
at 8:30 AM

Tagged in